Selecting the best mattress for back pain takes a lot of consideration. Our mattress for lower back pain buying guide will take the guesswork out of the process, evaluating different criteria when choosing the ...best mattress for back pain. You need to ensure that mattress support is medium/firm, the weight is evenly distributed, and that it is comfortable. In this mattress for lower back pain buying guide, you will find the best mattresses for back pain, the 5 best models available in the UK.
Top Listed Best Mattress for Back Pain of February 2024
Sealy Millionaire Bad Backs Mattress
Hand tufted buttons that keep the fillings together, adding tension to the springs; medium firm support suitable for average to heavy weighted people
No cons whatsoever, other than the limited selection of size.
If you need a medium firm support mattress, this is one of the best models available. Highly recommended!
AmazonBasics 7-Zone Spring Mattress
Super affordable price, vacuum packed, features 7-zone support system, great breathability and two different sides to sleep on.
Very firm and supportive, takes a week to get used to.
This is one of the most affordable mattresses for bad backs, and it has a lot of features to offer. Very comfortable, with great support, we highly recommend it!
Happy Beds Ortho Medium Firm Mattress
Very firm spring unit with classic fillings that provide a comfortable and soft surface. Hand tufted for improved structural integrity and durability.
Not as firm as other models.
If you need a medium-firm support mattress, that is durable and fully breathable, this is a model to consider. It is super affordable, with a selection of sizes to choose from, and somewhat softer than other orthopaedic mattresses.
Silentnight Eco Comfort Back Pain Mattress
Micropocket system with individual small springs housed in small and separate fabric pockets; zonal support and end-to-end weight distribution; white fiber filling that is dust free and provides resilience; purotex cover – anti-allergic and treated probiotically with healthy bacteria to protect against dust mites.
Slightly pricier than other models.
One of the best premium-end mattresses available on the market, with zonal support, micropocket technology, and healthy Purotex cover.
Leesa Premium Foam Back Pain Mattress
Very comfortable, fully breathable, sturdy, with fast recovery; includes a 10 year warranty. Probably the best back pain mattress ever designed.
Pricier than most
The Leesa is a deluxe mattress that is not quite affordable like all the other competing models. It is, however, the single best model on the UK market, when it comes to spinal support, weight distribution, and super comfortable rest.
Top 5 Mattresses for Bad Backs
1. Sealy Millionaire Bad Backs Mattress
A textile work of art, the Sealy Millionaire Bad Backs Mattress is an ergonomic model created with the help of certified medical professionals and members of the British Chiropractic Association. The mattress for back pain is designed to promote healthy posture, with 100% polyester fibre fillings, that provide excellent recovery and a medium-firm level of support.
- The model is suitable for people with an average to heavyweight, providing adequate relaxation reinforced with medium-firm support. Primarily a back pain mattress, the design of the Sealy Millionaire is focused on structural integrity and support.
- You’ll notice the hand-tufted buttons, spreading evenly over the surface, stitching the outer layer of the mattress to the internal components. This adds extra tension to the springs, ultimately making this mattress for low back pain even more comfortable. The inner structure contains a twice tempered spring system, which is super durable and easily recoverable. This best mattress for back pain will retain its shape for years to come, without compromising its structural integrity. Click here to read what customers have said on Amazon!
- The model measures 200 cm in length, and 150 cm in width, with a height of 27 cm. The weight is expectedly heavy, weighing 38 Kg. Covered in a thick knitted cover that is fully breathable and highly elastic, the core of the mattress is additionally protected. The model is very durable, and we never had any complaints about it whatsoever.
- Made in the UK, it is likely one of the best mattresses for back pain. Vouching for its structural integrity, a 5-year warranty is included in the price as well. It is important to note that this mattress for low back pain is not 2 sided, however, you can rotate your mattress for even wear, but expect to get the same level of comfort regardless of which side you are sleeping on. It might be pricier than other models, but the feedback is unanimously positive. If you are suffering from lower back pain, and weigh above the average, there is hardly a better option on the market.
Durable, with firm structural integrity and premium quality cover, I highly recommend it. The support is quite comfortable, and the fully breathing material promotes a better sleep overall.
2. AmazonBasics 7-Zone Spring Mattress
An Amazon Basics Mattress model, characterised by high quality and an affordable price, the extra comfort 7-zone pocket spring mattress is a great choice indeed. With many reviews from verified customers and more positive feedback from individual stores like ours, it deserves a place in the best mattress for back pain UK selection.
- Providing two different support surfaces to sleep on, the mattress combines high resiliency, great recovery foam on one side, with soft and super comfortable polyurethane foam on the other.
- The top offers excellent breathability, preventing moisture from accumulating, as well as reducing odour and heat. It will support the spine, with an edge-to-edge pressure consistency, and 7-zone design for optimal comfort. The internal structure includes individually wrapped springs, for improved durability and increased structural integrity. When you rest, you will feel how each part of your body sinks perfectly, finding its own place of comfort.
- The AmazonBasics 7-Zone Spring Mattress is an excellent mattress for back pain, though it can be used to prevent discomfort as well. If you wake up in the morning with a slight level of discomfort around the spine, it can offer prevention against further complications and increased pain. We had customers who complained about low back pain, mostly on the sides of the waist, decided to listen to our recommendation and improved their condition significantly. Technically speaking, the mattress is rated H3, which translates into medium-firm. The surface, however, offers a noticeable sensation of sinking into the soft foam.
- The 7-zone support system would distribute the weight evenly, which is mostly the reason why we recommend this model to people who suffer from pain centred around a single point on the back. As for breathability, the open cell structure of the foam will prevent moisture, which, according to our experience, is the number one problem with foam mattresses. With increased ventilation, this model ensures durability and protection against mould and odour. Read what customers have said on Amazon!
- As a final layer of protection, you have the anti-allergic Medicott cover, which is extra soft and fully breathable as well. The material repels dust mites and bacteria from accumulating under the surface, and you will feel an added layer of comfort as well. It is zipper removable and can be washed in the machine on up to 60 degrees.
- The material, however, cannot be tumble-dried. The model is vacuum rolled for a smooth delivery and carrying, and once it fully recovered to its original shape and size, it will measure 190 cm in length, 135 cm in width and 21.5 cm in height. The weight is 25 Kg. If you need a comfortable mattress for low back pain that provides medium-firm support, this is a great model.
The structural integrity ensures durability, providing comfort with a new 7-zone support system that will efficiently distribute the weight and alleviating pain. The price is affordable, making this Amazon Basic model one of the best currently available on the UK market.
3. Happy Beds Ortho Medium Firm Mattress
The Happy Beds Ortho Medium Firm Mattress is one of the most popular products on Amazon, across a number of sections and categories. The listing features over 1000 user reviews, all submitted from verified buyers, providing positive feedback. So, let’s see what makes this model so attractive.
- Integrated into its core, is an open coil spring system, offering medium-firm tension support. While the upper layer allows the body to sink slowly into the foam, the inner core remains relatively firm without losing its shape. This will give you a feeling of sinking in whilst providing support at the same time, that is hard to put into words. The twice tempered orthopedic spring unit will ensure durability, since it is highly recoverable, regardless of your weight.
- The model features classic fillings, covered with an elegant Belgian Damask fabric, which is hand-tufted for increased durability, and extra tension. Connecting the internal components with the outside surface, this method adds sturdiness, integrity, and strength. Both sides provide the same level of comfort, so it is recommended that you flip the best mattress back pain every couple of weeks, ensuring longevity. The sides feature flag stitched handles for smooth rotation. The best mattress for back pain is quite heavy, weighing 35 Kg for the Super King Size. It measures 200 cm in length, 180 cm in width, and 25 cm in height.
- The material is breathable, preventing moisture from absorbing into the inner core. This will protect against odour as well. Furthermore, the material is fire retardant, though it complies with the latest British safety standards, and doesn’t contain toxic substances such as phosphorus. This mattress for low back pain is covered by a 5-year warranty, ensuring peace of mind. It is delivered flat packed, though only as far as your front door. Click here to read the latest customer reviews on Amazon!
The model is handmade in the UK, and thanks to its affordable price, it is one of the most popular mattresses for bad pain. Thanks to the internal core support system, it will make sure that your weight is distributed somewhat evenly, preventing one body part from sinking deeper down, causing discomfort. If you need a medium-firm model that offers excellent recovery, relatively stable internal components, and soft high-density classic fillings, this is an option to consider. The price is relatively affordable, and the feedback unmatched by any other mattress model in the UK.
4. Silentnight Eco Comfort Back Pain Mattress
Approved by the National Bed Federation, this Silentnight Eco Comfort Back Pain Mattress is a premium mattress model. Combining the Mirapocket 1200 spring system, with additional zonal support, it offers comfort that is hardly matched by any other model.
- The Mirapocket technology is essentially a grid of individual small springs, each housed in their own separate fabric pockets. The springs distribute your weight evenly, spreading it across the bed. This ensures both comfortable support and longevity.
- Combined with the Mirapocket technology, this Silentnight best mattress for back pain model features zonal support as well. This means that each section of the mattress reacts differently to your weight, ensuring that the spine is correctly aligned. This head-to-toe zonal support provides higher density in areas where more support is needed, while other parts of the body rest comfortably against a soft surface. The material is breathable and odour repellent, but rotation is recommended since both sides provide the same level of support and comfort. Handles are firmly stitched onto the sides so you can quickly flip the mattress despite its weight. Click here to read the latest reviews on Amazon!
- The Super King size is 200 cm in length, 180 cm in width, and 29 cm in height. It is delivered flat packed, for free, in mainland UK. The internal components of this Silentnight mattress model are reinforced by joint stitching with the white fibre layer that provides deep filling and added resilience.
- It is soft, recovers together with the internal components, and prevents dust particles from accumulating. On the surface, a Purotex cover provides a probiotic treatment at the fabric level. It is anti-allergic and 100% natural, releasing friendly bacteria to combat the most common allergy triggers.
The Best Buy Magazine voted this model for the best mattress for back pain in the UK. It is anti-allergic, medium-firm, with zonal support and micro pocket technology, so you can easily see why. Extra soft, durable, and ensured by a 5-year warranty, this model is an option to consider regardless of the price.
5. Leesa Premium Foam Back Pain Mattress
With over 150 reviews on Amazon and thousands more across the internet, the Leesa Premium Foam Back Pain Mattress is a model to consider. Made from premium quality 3-layer foam, it was awarded a “Which? Best Buy” in 2019, and approval by the Good Housekeeping Institute. Click here to read customer reviews on Amazon!
- The Leesa is 25 cm deep regardless of the model you chose. It features a premium quality polyester cover, with seamless edges. The cover is super soft to the touch and fully breathable, protecting the internal components. Inside, 3 layers of foam are stacked on top of each other and joined firmly.
- The top layer is the cooling Avena foam, which is patented by Leesa and used exclusively and solely in their products. It is 2 inches thick, and features breathable and cooling properties, allowing both air and moisture to pass through. This layer will ensure a comfortable sleep, preventing heat and sweating. Underneath, there is another two-inch-thick foam, making the middle layer. It provides body contouring and pressure relief, acting as an alternative to zonal support systems and edge-to-edge weight distribution. It offers the best recovery surface when compared to any other model on the market. It is sufficiently dense and gives you a feeling of sinking. The foam will adjust to each part of the body, making sure that the weight is distributed evenly, providing spinal support and preventing discomfort.
- At the bottom, there is a 6-inch supportive foam layer. With high density and fast recovery, this is the support base preventing your body from sinking, thus creating medium-firm support. The 3 layers combined can easily outrank any other support system, whether it is micro pockets, springs, or a combination of them with an added foam protection.
- Highly breathable, anti-allergic, and very comfortable, the Leesa premium best mattress for back pain is definitely worth the price. Considering the unique position of the internal layers, this mattress for lower back pain cannot be turned but It can be rotated. You won’t have to worry about longevity though – compared to other models; the Leesa has the longest period under warranty, which is 10-years. It is very robust, sturdy, and completely recoverable from any pressure. You should swap sides now and then (head and feet).
- The dimensions measure 200 cm in length, 180 cm in width, and 25 cm in height. It is particularly heavy, weighing 38 Kg. The company donates 1 mattress to shelters around the country for every 10 it sells, and popular magazines and leading institutes describe the model as one of the best mattresses for back pain in the UK.
If you need a durable model that is soft, comfortable, and provides adequate spinal support, there is hardly a better option available. It will distribute the weight evenly, preventing pressure and discomfort, while ensuring sound support and excellent adaptability. Breathable, sturdy, and comfortable, it will significantly lower your back pain, giving you the best sleep you’ve had in years. Most highly recommended!
How to choose the best mattress for back pain?
When you are searching for the best mattress for back pain in the UK, many different mattress models are available, not all of them necessarily are orthopaedic. So what do you need to look for? Is its softness, or firmness, thickness, or squishiness? We shed some light on the subject, in the buying guide below.
When choosing the best mattress for back pain, an essential feature is the firmness of the mattress, in particular, firm or medium-firm support. You don’t want your hip sinking too deep or a soft interior that gradually starts to sag. Whatever the surface material, the core needs to be fairly firm, with reinforced structural integrity. Some models feature the hand-tufted surface cover, additionally strengthening inner integrity.
Zonal support technology
The reason why many of us experience pain in the lumbar section, the hips, spine or waist area while in bed is that most mattresses employ a single support system. Having in mind that different body parts apply different weight against the mattress surface, it is recommended that you chose the best mattress for back pain with zonal support technology.
Most models that employ this technology will feature the 7-zone system, providing adequate spine support, preventing certain body parts from sinking deeper than they need to. Layers of high-density memory foam can essentially offer the same effect.
Regardless of the material, you would want a responsive mattress that adjusts to your body. High-density foam is the best option when it comes to fast and reliable recovery, but there are micro pocket systems that provide a relatively similar result. If you move excessively throughout the night, a fast recovery mattress will adjust correctly to your body, providing lasting comfort. As a rule of thumb, these models are much more durable as well.
Other properties to look for
Though seemingly the same, no mattresses are quite alike. The best mattress for back pain can have several properties, and made from different materials, creating a significant advantage over other models.
Reinforced structural integrity
The structural integrity is what provides durability and firm support. Without it, a mattress for back pain is just as good as having a pile of blankets folded underneath a cover. The internal components can be coiled or pocket springs or density foam, but much of the integrity depends on how they are joined together and stitched with the cover. The best mattress for back pain reviews below goes into much detail.
Having in mind the desired longevity of each model, the best mattress for back pain has to be additionally protected against dust mites and bacteria, as well as what we know to be the most common allergy triggers.
Different companies solve this issue in different ways, but most include anti-allergic fibres in the filling and cover, as well as high quality additionally treated polyester. Some add probiotics as well or make the cover zipper removable and washable at up to 60 degrees.
To prevent moisture and odour from accumulating, the materials need to be breathable. The fully breathable models (both core and cover) are what you should look for, especially if you decide to go with mattresses that contain high-density foam.
Regardless of the inner components and the sound structural integrity of the model, a quality cover is necessary, and often detrimental. It should be thick, soft, breathable, nicely stitched, and have anti-allergic properties. Some mattresses offer fully removable covers that can be washed, but that is usually the case with smaller sizes and models for children. Look for firmly stitched covers, or hand-tufted with buttons spread across the surface.
Made in the UK or the EU
The only way you can be confident that a mattress complies with the latest British Safety Standards is for the model to be manufactured in the UK or the EU, by reputable British or European companies. This ensures that all safety standards are met during the material selection and the manufacturing process, protecting you against toxic materials and banned fire retardants.
The best mattress for back pain should offer at least 5 years of warranty, to vouch for its structural integrity. The best mattress for back pain selection in this buying tries to reflect this as well.
Whatever else might be said, there is no way to access the durability as well as orthopaedic properties without trying it. For this purpose, you either chose a mattress that comes with a free trial period or find one with positive reviews from verified buyers. That is why we emphasize the best mattress reviews, carefully analyzing each model, and seeing how closely they match against customer feedback.