Before comparing different mattress models, it is important to think about your sleeping style. Falling under 1 of 4 brackets, people either sleep on their side, stomach, back, or a combination of... these without a particular preference. This best mattress for side sleepers buying guide will highlight what you need to know about sleeping on your side, helping you chose the best mattress for side sleepers. We will go behind the theory, review 5 top mattress models, and compare them against one another. The list below features the most popular side sleeper mattresses in the UK, with relatively affordable models that ensure both comfort and durability. We tested them separately, covering both the pros and cons of each model.
Top Listed Best Mattress for Side Sleepers of February 2024
Silentnight Comfort Rolled Foam Mattress
Most popular model on the market, with more feedback from customers than all other competitors combined. Miratex 7-zone support system, Purotex treatment, and soft quilted knit cover.
Pressure on one side can slightly lower the other, especially if towards the middle. Hard to notice but worth mentioning.
A high quality model with dense and durable memory foam, it is definitely worth the money.
Bedzonline Open Coil Memory Foam Medium Soft Mattress
Combination between open coil and memory foam; strong stitching and very sturdy.
One of the best models within its price rage, the Bedzonline combines the strong support of the coil core, with the soft and cushy layer of memory foam. Highly recommended!
Visco Therapy Memory Foam 1000 Side Sleeper Mattress
Zip-off removable cover; long lasting super dense memory foam base; soft, easily recoverable and breathable memory foam layer.
Feels quite soft if you are a heavy person.
One of the best memory foam models on the market, the Visco offers super soft memory foam surface, and a very durable dense memory foam base. Excellent support and comfort – highly recommended!
Dormeo Memory Deluxe Side Sleeper Mattress
Super high quality memory foam; dense section for the inner core (16 cm) and a soft, cushy and fast recovery foam underneath the surface (4 cm). Highly breathable Ecocell foam for the base; sanitized against dust mites and common allergy triggers; 1cm higher than other memory foam models.
The price is much higher than most of the competitors.
If you have the budget, this is definitely one of the best memory foam mattress models in the UK. If sleeping on your side is the only position you know of, this is bar none the best side sleeper mattress. The warranty is three times that of the other manufacturers, which is impressive.
Bedzonline Damask Pocket Spring Medium Soft Mattress
The most affordable model within this selection. Pocket spring technology with up to 2000 separate mini-pockets for the king size model; each pocket is wrapped individually and surrounded with high quality cotton.
Perhaps the best deal in this side sleeper’s mattress selection! Combining the micro-pocket technology with high quality damask fabric, stitching and reinforced structural integrity, this is definitely the best model for the price. Most highly recommended – buy it before they run out of stock!
Top 5 Mattresses for Side Sleepers
1. Silentnight Comfort Rolled Foam Mattress
With being such a popular product, we decided to review this Silentnight mattress first. It is priced above some of the competitors, but still relatively affordable concerning models of similar quality and support.
- The Silentnight Comfort Rolled Foam Mattress feels comfortable when you rest on your side. At 84 Kg, I can feel how my body is sinking, enough, so it alleviates pressure from the hips and shoulders. On the other hand, the zone support technology provides a supportive base, which prevents me from sinking further. Given my weight, I believe it is durable enough to work consistently, no matter the person.
- The Miratex 7-zone core support system is, in fact, a densely packed layer of foam. It makes the body of the mattress, supplemented only by another layer on top which is there to provide the soft and cushy feeling, allowing your body to sink deeper. The best mattress for side sleepers, the double version that is, measures 135 cm in width and 190 cm in length, with a 20 cm height – which is quite generous for memory foam mattresses. Given that there is no other material besides the layers of memory foam, breathability is essential.
- The best mattress for side sleepers is covered with a high quality quilted knit cover, that is very soft and fully breathable. Additionally treated with Purotex, it contains healthy bacteria preventing odour from accumulating, as well as keeping you safe from dust mites and other most common allergy triggers.
- The Silentnight Comfort Rolled Foam Mattress medium-soft side sleeper mattress is made in the UK, which means that it is fire retardant and complies with the latest standards of quality, ensuring that the material and manufacturing process is toxin-free. It can be delivered as quickly as the next day, for free. This best mattress for side sleepers arrives vacuum packed. Please note it can take up to 24 hours for the mattress to fully recover recommend that you don’t use the mattress during this time. A 5-year manufacturer warranty is also included in the price, which suddenly makes it look very affordable.
The best mattress for side sleepers reviews online are well positive, and this is one of the best mattresses for side sleepers we’ve ever tested. If you are looking for a quality memory foam mattress, for sleeping on the side, there is hardly a better option on the market. With its zone support technology and cushy layer on top, this is one of the most comfortable mattresses. It is highly recommended!
2. Bedzonline Open Coil Memory Foam Medium Soft Mattress
A far more affordable option, the Bedzonline open coil memory foam medium soft mattress is a quality model nonetheless. Covered with ultra-breathable damask fabric, this best mattress for side sleepers uk has dense memory foam for a base.
- The rebound and recovery of the coils and foam, as expected, is very high, making this a viable option for everybody who wants to sleep on their side, as well as other positions. This is one of those models I referred to earlier when saying that open coil is excellent as long as there is sufficient padding with quality fabric and a layer of memory foam. Considering those requirements, this mattress is excellent when sleeping on your side.
- Four size options are available, so you have the standard double, the small double, the king-size, and the single size model. The measurements of the standard double are 135 cm in width and 190 cm in length, with a height of 20 cm. The texture of the cover is soft and cushy, and the stitching very strong, considering how it packs a lot of quality fabric, combined with open coils and a memory foam layer.
- Resting down on my side, I find this model surprisingly comfortable, with a delicate balance between firm support and cushy surface. The mattress weight is 20 Kg, which makes me suspect the durability but the stitching and structural integrity look durable, so I think it will retain much of its original shape throughout the years.
This mattress comes with a 1-year manufacturer guarantee. With many reviews from verified customers on Amazon, this is one of the most affordable premium quality mattresses for side sleepers. Slightly firmer than the Silentnight’s model, this one is still quite soft when compared to regular medium-firm mattresses. Thanks to the thick layer of memory foam, it also provides decent contouring to your body shape, regardless of your size and weight.
3. Visco Therapy Memory Foam 1000 Side Sleeper Mattress
Medium-firm towards soft, the Visco Therapy Memory Foam 1000 Side Sleeper Mattress is one of the best options if you are searching for a model on the softer side. It features two dense memory foam layers, with extra polyester wadding on top, and a non-slip fabric on the bottom.
- Compared to other models available, this is a relatively affordable option, with high-quality memory foam that is very breathable and sufficiently dense to provide firm support yet relaxing rest. The base support is made of 3cm long-lasting memory foam, with super high density, and the main layer is a much thicker foam section that is highly responsive and recovers quickly. What is unique about this best mattress for side sleepers is that it comes with a fully removable cover. You can zip-off the surface layer, put it in the washer, and have a clean-smelling surface for years on end.
- Breathable and anti-allergic, this is high-quality material. One size is available, which is the standard double, measuring 135cm in width and 190cm in length. The height is 20 cm, which is generous for a foam mattress, and the model weights 20 Kg – also more than enough for a foam mattress, which makes me believe that the density is as described. The package will arrive vacuumed packed and rolled, so be careful when unpacking it. It comes with a free delivery service, and a Visco Therapy warranty leaflet (consult the company about the warranty period for it may vary). Click here to read the latest customer reviews on Amazon!
If you are looking for a high-quality memory foam mattress that is also reasonably affordable, this model is an option I’d highly recommend. Manufactured in the UK, and being a relatively new entry on the market, it complies with all the latest standards of quality, ensuring fire resistance and toxic-free materials. Softer than the usual medium-firm coil variety, this is excellent for someone with average weight. It is definitely recommended!
4. Dormeo Memory Deluxe Side Sleeper Mattress
Made in Italy, the Dormeo Memory Deluxe Side Sleeper Mattress is one of the best in its category. Covered with a piece of quality fabric and made of two different foam sections, this mattress is excellent for those who prefer to sleep on their side.
- The upper memory foam layer is a quality visco-elastic material, with 2cm sewn into the surface and 2cm for additional comfort. That makes the top layer 4cm thick, which leaves the core at 16cm of Ecocell foam. The best mattress for side sleepers uk feels very comfortable. It is much softer than competing models on one side, and much more supportive on the other. I tried rocking my body side to side, but the memory foam layers distribute the weight correctly, without as much as moving the surface few inches away from your body.
- Honestly, I was sceptical about the model given the price and the fact that Dormeo had somewhat of a track record of hiding behind their brand name, but the memory foam deluxe beats previous models by a considerable margin.
- A flagship model of the company, this one is a direct competitor to all memory foam mattresses on the UK and US market. Four size options are available, all measuring 21cm in height. The standard double is 135cm in width and 190 cm in length. The Ecocell foam is highly breathable, so it essentially eliminates problems such as high humidity in the room, or odour accumulating throughout the years. It is made to be permanently elastic and highly recoverable. The standard of quality is excellent since Dormeo has a very advanced manufacturing process working years back. Carbon fibres are woven into the surface as well, for protection against dust mites and other common allergy triggers.
- What is most impressive, however, is the highly sensitive top foam layer, that reacts perfectly to every movement without compromising the pressure on the other side of the bed. I weigh 84 Kg, but regardless of how much pressure I applied to the surface while resting, the other side of the bed remained unaffected. The reason why there is a lack of reviews on Amazon UK is probably because of the price, which to be honest is higher than many competing models. What is great though, and this is not a surprise with Dormeo models, is that the warranty for the memory double deluxe is 15 years. Click here to read the latest customer reviews on Amazon!
So if you are looking for a high-quality memory foam mattress, that will retain its elastic qualities even after years of use, this is one of the best models on the market. It is highly recommended!
5. Bedzonline Damask Pocket Spring Medium Soft Mattress
The most affordable model within this buying guide, the Bedzonline Damask Pocket Spring Medium Soft Mattress surprised me the most. With help from the pocket spring technology, this best mattress for side sleepers in the UK provides the desirable zonal support that is recommended for people who want to sleep on their side.
- With up to 2000 springs on the king-size model, all of them wrapped in separate pockets, stuffed with quality cotton fillings, the Bedzonline orthopedic mattress offers support like no other. Each spring is designed to work independently; I get the feeling that hips, shoulders, and knees are all sinking independently. The weight is distributed evenly, which is a big thing to say when reviewing a model so affordable. This, in short, makes it an excellent option for those who prefer to sleep on their side.
- The package arrives rolled and wrapped, mattress in a box. Once you open the package and the mattress, it will start the recovery process. Give it around 24 hours to fully recover, then test the mattress by resting on the surface. You will probably be as surprised as I was the first time I placed my body against this model. Four different size options are available, all with the same height, all evenly distributing the weight. The standard double is 135cm in width and 190cm in length. With a height of 22cm, it weighs somewhat over 20 Kg. The damask fabric is breathable, and I’d wager my guess that it is a much better alternative to foam – especially when it comes to protection from odour and mold. Read what customers have said on Amazon!
- This best mattress for side sleepers is sturdy, with durable stitching and excellent structural integrity. It comes with a 1-year warranty included, but I believe that it can easily outlive many memory foam competitors. Besides, the price is ultra-affordable, and given the pocket coil technology, there is no single point of failure that can make a large enough sag after years of use. Manufactured in the UK, it is compliant with the British standards of safety and quality, ensuring that it is fire resistant and toxin-free mattress.
If you need a quality micro-pocket mattress for side sleepers, from a reputable manufacturer at an ultra-affordable price, you won’t make a mistake with this model. More than 50 reviews on Amazon confirm our verdict, which is that this is one of the best deals you can currently find.
Choosing a mattress according to your sleeping position
Before we start describing the mattress requirements of each sleeping style, let’s familiarise ourselves with the 4 different types of sleepers:
- Side sleepers
- Back sleepers
- Stomach sleepers
- Combined position sleepers
The best mattress for side sleepers uk is not necessarily the best mattress for someone with a different sleeping preference. More often than not, it is the complete opposite. What is comfortable and recommended for one group of people is usually problematic for others.
Firm or soft – what do you need for each sleeping position?
Following the advice from many doctors and organizations, such as the National Bed Foundation, sleeping on your back may be the healthiest habit. But most of us, however, have personal preferences firmly maintained throughout the years. My wife, for example, cannot imagine sleeping on her back – she struggles with firm mattresses every time we are going on a vacation, but the side position is the only way she can fall asleep. Luckily though, knowing the different model requirements, we got ourselves the right mattress years ago.
The back sleeper, however, would enjoy a medium-firm mattress – something that provides adequate support for their lower back. Those who sleep on their stomach, on the other hand, would need a firm mattress – also, the heavier the person, the firmer the surface. That’s usually the safest bet. If are sleeping on the side, you will need a medium soft mattress – a cushioned variety that is also supportive enough to keep your spine leveled. If you are switching from one position to another, pocket coils and dense memory foam are going to do the job. But let’s focus on the side position, and discuss the best mattress for side sleepers.
Sleeping on your side – what is the best mattress for side sleepers UK?
The most common sleeping position is the side sleeping position; this sleeping position creates the highest number of pressure points. Pressure points, like your hips, shoulders, elbows, and thighs, are body parts that come in contact with the surface, unevenly distributing your weight.
For side sleepers, we recommend a medium to soft firmness mattress. The reason behind this is because of the body weight, pressure tends to be focused on the hips and shoulders. If you experience shoulder pain, it’s probably because your mattress is too firm.
The side sleepers would need a medium-soft mattress, which doesn’t put stress on the hips and shoulders, but instead alleviates pressure from these points of contact. It needs to be softer, providing a sinking feeling. Memory foam layers are therefore built-in, and they can vary in thickness. The density, though, is cushy, providing the necessary softness.
However, the side sleeper position still requires the natural curve of the body to be maintained, with the spine in perfect alignment. This can be achieved with a strong base, with high-quality, responsive coils, or most commonly a zonal support system with micro-pockets, allowing each area of the surface to react differently to pressure and weight.
The best mattress for side sleepers is therefore not an open coil model. It is either a zone support system, with pocket coils, or a spring variety with thick and soft memory foam. Some people mistake the medium-soft tag with a cushy model that is too soft to provide the necessary support. Do note, that most side sleeper mattress models are one-sided, which means that you don’t have to flip them. Rotation, however, is recommended, for even wear & tear!