With a garden variety of affordable mattress models, 3ft single mattresses present a buyer with challenges. If you are less familiar with orthopaedic features, quality standards, materials and specifications, c...hoosing the best single mattress requires quite a bit of research. This 3ft single mattress buying guide below will provide a solid footing, familiarizing you with all of the useful features. In the end, we will review the 5 best single mattress size models in depth, helping you with the selection process.
Top Listed Best Single Mattress of February 2024
Luxury Single 3ft x 6ft Spring Mattress
High quality damask fabric, with a strong and durable Bonnell spring unit. It features quality stitching at a super affordable price. Likely the most affordable single mattress on sale you’ll ever find in the UK.
Firm support, not easily adjusting to the body.
If you need a reasonably quality mattress, this single mattress size model is the best you can get for the price. Very sturdy and durable, it is a model worth considering.
Silentnight Essentials 1000 Single Memory Mattress
Strong structural integrity – a mix between micro-pocket grid and dense memory foam padding; anti-allergic and handmade in the UK; very soft and durable cover.
More expensive than most.
One of the best single mattress models on the market. The price is way more expensive than all of the other models on the list, but one can say it is well worth it.
Silentnight Foam Rolled Single Mattress
Back to back high density Miratex foam, with 14 cm thickness. Comfortable and durable soft knit, that is hypoallergic and dust mite resistant. 5 years of manufacturer warranty included in price.
Very thick memory foam can prevent full breathability. Not recommended if you have issues with mold and excessive moisture.
A back-to-back memory foam at a low price, this is definitely a model to consider. If you need a soft and cozy surface for a bed, there is hardly a better option at this price.
3ft Memory Foam Orthopaedic Pocket Single Mattress
The best combination of micro-pockets and two layers of memory foam. Relatively affordable, anti-allergic and very durable.
Memory foam on top can be deeper – otherwise, no cons whatsoever.
One of the best single mattress models available in the UK! It is a perfect combination between micro-pocket technology and memory foam padding. Highly recommended – especially for people who have mild to debilitating back issues!
Starlight Luxury Single Memory Foam Spring Mattress
A strong and durable mix between open coil unit and dense memory foam. Offers the most comfort for the money! It is nearly twice less in price when compared to other single mattresses on sale of the same quality.
More height won’t hurt, and micro-pockets will definitely make this single mattress a winner in any category. But price and durability combined, I cannot complain.
The most affordable model on the market, that is comparatively better than 90% of the competition. The best deal you’ll ever make!
Top 5 Single Mattresses in the UK
1. Luxury Single 3ft x 6ft Spring Mattress
As one of the most affordable 3ft single mattress models that I’ve reviewed over the last couple of years, the Luxury Single 3ft x 6ft Spring Mattress has a lot to offer. It is covered with a high-quality Damask fabric and a robust open coil Bonnell spring grid underneath.
- Manufactured by Mr. Sleeps Beds Limited in the UK, it is sold online, far surpassing the quality features of pricier and more widely recognized models. This best single mattress features high-quality stitching as well, ensuring structural integrity despite the fact it is a simple open coil spring model. Reasonably heavy and dense, it is sturdy enough to withstand moderate weight without losing its shape throughout the years. Given the price tag, this is a rare quality feature.
- The standard length measures 190 cm x 90 cm, with a height of 20 cm. However, to avoid damage during transport, this best single mattress for sale is delivered vacuum packed, effectively decreasing the height at 16 cm. The instant recovery to 20 cm, once you open the package, is an excellent indicator of the elasticity and durability of the coil spring unit inside.
- The Luxury single 3ft x 6ft spring mattress is made complies with the UK Fire & Safety regulations, which means that it is sufficiently durable and safe. The newest laws also prevent manufacturers from using toxic fire retardants, so you can rest assured that this is a health-friendly model – no phosphorus or similar chemicals whatsoever.
- The company won’t deliver in Northern Ireland, but you get free delivery throughout Mainland UK. With many reviews on Amazon, from verified customers, the Luxury 3ft Single Spring mattress is one of the most popular models within its category. And while the lower price tag helps, it is the quality that people appreciate.
With my weight of 84 Kg, I expected a less supportive surface, and a lack of adaptability when transferring my weight from one side to the other. To my surprise, the coil spring unit adapts easily, with fast recovery and excellent support. If you need a sturdy, comfortable, and reliable 3ft single mattress, this is an option to consider. The low price is attractive, but there is much more to this model than simply being affordable. It is highly recommended!
2. Silentnight Essentials 1000 Single Memory Mattress
Very popular on Amazon UK, the Silentnight Pocket Essentials 1000 Single Memory Mattress – deserves a spot on this list as well. We tested the model, and it is one of the best 3ft single mattress size we had the pleasure to review.
- Combining the 1000 zoned Mirapocket spring system with a dense layer of memory foam, this Silentnight best single mattress for sale feels medium-firm. The upper layer adjusts to your body position accordingly, and the interior pocket system provides strong base support. With an end-to-end weight distribution, this 3ft best single mattress for sale is excellent for those who move a lot throughout the night. Regardless of your weight, this mattress won’t sag – the zonal support system would adjust accordingly, and the memory foam padding would help in better weight distribution.
- The high price, when compared to other models, is due to the quality of the micro-pocket system, and the generously dense memory foam. The best single mattress memory foam model is made in the UK, and it is compliant with the latest standards of quality and safety. Wrapped and nicely stitched with a hypoallergenic soft knit cover, it will protect against dust mites as well, repelling the most common allergy triggers.
- Several models are available, but the single mattress size in cm is the usual 190 in length with 90 cm in width. It is 25 cm tall, which is generous enough when compared to other models. With 45 Kg of weight, this model is a fortress of resilience and durability. Weighing almost twice as much in comparison to other models of similar size, it is perfect for people who are medium-heavy to slightly overweight, and especially for those who move a lot throughout the night.
If you have acute back pain, the zonal support and memory foam padding should help, alleviating most of it. As a plus, the 3ft single mattress comes with a five-year warranty as standard. It is a handmade model, manufactured in the UK, and perhaps what you can call the flagship of the company. This is quite a desirable model, with reliable feedback and proven quality as well as durability. Read the latest customer reviews on Amazon! The only issue I have with it is the price, which is almost twice as much as some of the other models. If you can afford it, definitely go for it. This model is made to last without ever losing shape or structural integrity.
3. Silentnight Foam Rolled Single Mattress
Approved by the National Bed Federation and the British Allergy Foundation, the Silentnight Comfortable Foam Rolled Best Single Mattress was a model we had to review. After scrutinizing it, I can say with a high level of certainty that it deserves a spot on the best 3ft single mattress on sale selection.
- Made with sturdy and high-density Miratex Foam, this Silentnight single mattress size adapts perfectly to your body and weight. It worried me initially that the 14 cm height, which the company describes as generous, is not sufficient for long term use, but I quickly changed my mind. Consulting our base of customers, and reading most of the reviews on Amazon UK, it seems as though this is a durable best single mattress model.
- On close inspection, it feels very supportive, though quite soft. If you prefer a cozy 3ft single mattress that is going to absorb your weight and make you feel like you are floating, this is a model to consider. If you struggle with spine injuries or prefer a more supportive base, it might be a tad too soft. The foam is going to distribute your weight correctly, and it will handle moderate to high pressure with no problem whatsoever. It adapts to the body and different body parts specifically as well.
- At the top and bottom, the foam is protected by a soft knit cover which makes it even more comfortable. Hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant, it is meant to provide for healthier sleep and an allergy-free environment. It is interesting to note that the soft knit cover is treated with Purotex friendly bacteria, to protect against the most common allergy triggers. It doesn’t come with a specific smell embedded in the fabric, which is a plus. The foam is highly responsive, and it recovers surprisingly fast. This is perhaps the reason why the company is delivering them vacuum packed, without worrying about loss of structural integrity, or shape.
- The single mattress for sale material is breathable, which is a great plus for a 3ft single mattress relying exclusively on foam, and it will protect against odour accumulating over the years.
The model comes with a five years manufacturer warranty as well. Measuring 190 cm in length and 90 cm in width, this single mattress is only 14 cm tall, weighing 8 Kg. It is resilient, durable, and very comfortable. If you are looking for a quality foam 3ft single mattress in the UK within this price range, there is hardly a better model on the market. I’m recommending it without any hesitation!
4. 3ft Memory Foam Orthopaedic Pocket Single Mattress
One of my favourite models on the market, the 3ft Memory Foam Orthopaedic Pocket Single Mattress deserves a spot on this list. With an ergonomic combination of materials – mainly pocket technology and memory foam – this 3ft single mattress size provides adequate support for the spine, all the while offering a super comfortable rest.
- With a multi-layered structure, this 3ft single mattress starts with a polyester woven fabric on the bottom, protecting the cotton felt under the surface, which is covering nearly 1000 micro-pocket springs. These are tasked with providing support while at the same time allowing different parts of the body to sink at different heights, ultimately supporting the spine and allowing for orthopaedic weight distribution.
- Covering the micro-pocket grid, there is another cotton felt layer, topped by non-woven fabric, and then a medium-density foam support base. This, in my experience, is used to reduce the direct contact with the pocket grid, offering much more stable support, as well as durability. Then, antibacterial cotton is topped by a bamboo charcoal fibre protecting you against the most common allergy triggers, and these are topped by the dense and thick memory foam that is absorbing most of your weight. It is placed right under the surface and protected with a broche fabrics cover.
- Enough with the technicalities though – this pocket sprung single mattress does provide a lot of comforts. Transferring your weight from one side to the other doesn’t seem to affect the surrounding space on the surface. You can “sink” comfortably on the left side, and inches nest to your body, the surface seems unaffected by your weight. When you try to roll over, the spot you’ve been occupying recovers faster than most of the models I’ve reviewed throughout the years. I am a massive fan of the pocket spring technology and prefer a combination of this support system with high-density foam.
- The fabric pockets will increase the longevity of the spring grid, while at the same time providing more responsive support. Combined with high-density foam, you get a super comfortable orthopaedic mattress. It provides a perfect weight distribution, and reduction in pressure points – each body part sinks differently, without experiencing added pressure against the surface. The 3ft memory foam orthopaedic pocket springs single mattress, in my opinion, is the best mattress when narrowing your search down to its category and price range. The model is ant-allergic, fire-resistant and toxin-free. The foam is breathable, high quality and dense, while the sewing of the different layers is strong enough to ensure structural integrity for years to come.
- A standard 3ft best single mattress, the size is 190 cm in length, 90 cm in width. With a height of 27 cm, the model weights 28 Kg, which is quite a lot given the affordable price. Expect it rolled and vacuum packed, and be careful when opening the box for it might pop right out.
After unpacking it, allow for 24 hours (or even better, up to 48) recovery time, so the mattress regains its full height. A very comfortable and supportive model, this is likely the best 3ft single mattress within its category and price range. Read the many reviews on Amazon provide positive feedback, so I’d go ahead and say that it is one of the best deals you can ever make.
5. Starlight Luxury Single Memory Foam Spring Mattress
The most affordable quality single mattress for sale, the Starlight Luxury Single Memory Foam Spring Mattress is a winner across many categories. Though arguably less impressive than the third model on this list, it costs almost twice less.
- With even more reliable structural support, enhanced durability, and a more breathable system, the Starlight luxury 3ft single memory foam spring mattress is a model to consider. As it arrives vacuum packed, after unpacking, the mattress recovered quite fast. The spring unit is reliable and supportive, and the memory foam slightly thicker and denser than the average model.
- We measured the size and weight, and it is a perfect 190 cm x 90 cm model, that is 16 cm tall and 15 Kg heavy. The single mattress memory foam is a mix between an open coil unit and a thick memory foam panel. Unlike other models where the memory foam is only there to provide soft padding, here it is an integral part of the structure and support mechanism.
- Resting on this pocket sprung single mattress, I can say that it is a medium support model, providing a soft and cosy sink, while at the same time offering strong base support. The spring unit is not bouncy and gives firm support if you decide to press with your weight. Rolling on each side is unobstructed, and you only sink deeper when you rest comfortably against the surface longer than a few seconds. The memory foam, in my opinion, is of high quality since it distributes the weight correctly, preventing singular pressure points.
- Made in Britain, the Starlight luxury single memory foam spring mattress complies with UK and EU standards of quality. It is fire resistant, doesn’t contain toxic materials, and is both hypoallergenic and dust mite resilient. The fabric cover on top is soft and thick, nicely stitched, and fully breathable.
- The open spring unit inside the core improves breathability, which in my experience protects against odour even better. If you are a medium heavy person, this model feels super comfortable. The strong spring interior can remain durable even after years of use, as many of the verified Amazon reviews conclude. When you are shopping on a budget, this is bar none the most affordable model. However, it doesn’t compromise on quality, comfort, and durability. Instead, it includes many other desirable features as well.
The reason why the price is so low, I believe, is because the company manufacturing these is selling directly online, skipping the middleman altogether. If you need a reliable 3ft single mattress, that is super affordable and surprisingly comfortable, this is the model I’m vouching for. Most highly recommended!
How to select the best 3ft single mattress?
So despite the general qualities such as comfort and sturdiness, there are lots of factors to look at when choosing the best 3ft single mattress in the UK. Most of the features described below would significantly affect weight distribution, the breathability of the model, support and durability. So let’s start this mattress guide from the top.
Best Single Mattress models
While all 3ft single mattresses generally look the same, there is much happening under the surface layer. The model of the best single mattress is determined by what is inside the 3ft single mattress, which is often a spring grid, a memory foam layer, a micro-pocket grid or some type of a combination between these.
All of the best single mattress for sale have their advantages and disadvantages. Otherwise, the market would stop producing one variety on the expanse of saturating the other. So what are they?
The open coil model
Open coil 3ft single mattresses offer better and firmer support. It is sturdy, durable, and excellent for people who want a less responsive surface. It also allows for better breathability, which means less moisture and odour accumulating throughout the years.
Generally, these are more affordable, and if combined with high-quality fabric, they are a great option to consider. On the flip side, weight distribution is weak, which translates into more pressure points and discomfort if you have acute back problems.
The best single mattress memory foam model
Much more adjustable to the body, the 3ft single memory foam mattress is generally more expensive. But not all foam is created equal. You’d like high-density foam that is partially breathable and offers fast recovery. Quality single foam mattresses can distribute the weight evenly, preventing pressure points and discomfort. They give the feeling of sinking into the mattress, which is impressive if you happen to love cosy and soft surfaces.
The Micro-pockets model
Micro pockets offer very adjustable support, which correctly realigns to accommodate your weight and sleeping position. This technology uses shorter coil springs, wrapping them each into a quality fabric pocket. The result is a grid of highly responsive and elastic points that sometimes count up to 1000 in number.
Combinations of models
Mattress manufacturing technologies have witnessed a great leap forward over the last couple of decades, but few things remain the same. Whatever else might be said, coil springs still supply the most reliable support, offering the durability of the interior unit.
On the other hand, memory foam paddings can significantly improve weight distribution, eliminating pressure points. A mix between these two, therefore, seems to be the best solution if you want both firm support and a soft surface layer.
Zone technology (where every body part is enjoying a different level of support), is here mostly thanks to micro-pocket technology; so if you have back issues, it is recommended that you look for a micro-grid system that provides a firm but otherwise adjustable base support. My wife also swears by this technology since it allows each of us to move throughout the night without affecting the other. When combined with layers of soft memory foam right under the surface, and dense memory foam directly under the grid system, the micro-pocket model can outrank any “orthopaedic mattress”.
Health-friendly features to look at
Since you can never guess what material is beneath the surface, it is safe to follow the UK safety standards. As a rule of thumb, search for the best single mattress made in Britain, since they comply with the latest Safety British Standards.
Mostly, what this means is that the models don’t contain any toxic materials, are fire resistant and have a decent level of breathability. Furthermore, you can look for 3ft single mattresses that are approved by the National Bed Federation, which concerns with quality sleep, weight distribution, durability, comfort, and anti-allergic features like the Purotex treatment. That being said, let’s continue with a selection of the best single mattress reviews, covering the best single mattress size models.