If you are an average weight person, a medium firm mattress is the optimal sleeping solution that suits different types of sleepers. Buying the best mattress, however, takes a lot of research. The Best medium-f...irm mattress buying guide below will lay down the fundamentals of choosing the best model, bearing in mind firmness, support, different sleeping technologies, and other factors such as weight, sleeping position, heat tolerance, and moving throughout the night. Below, we compare some of the best medium firm mattresses throughout different categories and price ranges.
Top Listed Best Medium Firm Mattress of March 2024
Happy Beds Orthopaedic Spring Medium Firm Mattress
Hand tufted for improved structural integrity and durability, with quality breathable fabric fillings and generously affordable price.
Less responsive when compared to the hybrid models
If you love traditionally designed mattresses, this one is near the top of the list. It is great for people who cannot stand the heat in summer.
Vesgantti 9.4 Inch Pocket Sprung Medium Firm Mattress
New technologies such as zonal support, temperature sensitive foam and quality pocket springs. It includes a very generous warranty and feels very cushy and immersive. Ultra-affordable!
One of the best hybrid medium firm mattresses. Definitely worth considering!
Simpur Relax BioPure Graphene Memory Foam Mattress
Absorbs moisture and odor, 100% anti-allergic, with new and patented technologies that improve quality of sleep. Free memory foam pillow included!
A long list of features in what is otherwise a very affordable mattress. It has several patented technologies implemented into its design and manufacturing, and a reasonable guarantee of 5 years for additional peace of mind.
Sealy Posturpedic Millionaire Backcare 4FT6 Double Mattress
Incredibly strong and durable Bonnel spring unit, quality polyester fillings, and hand tufted for improved structural integrity.
Very expensive when compared to other hybrid models with new and patented technologies
Good buy if you are into traditionally designed mattresses that offer great breathability and strong base support. Otherwise not worth it considering the competition!
Inofia Medium Firm Mattress with Pocket Springs
Zonal support with supper quality micro-pockets, one layer of highly responsive foam and two layers of high-density foam, with additional layers of quality cotton fabric.
No patented technologies and certifications.
Perhaps the best hybrid mattress with medium-firm support, at a price that is hard to beat.
Top 5 Medium Firm Mattresses to Buy
1. Happy Beds Orthopaedic Spring Medium Firm Mattress
The Happy Beds line of mattresses has a great example of hybrid models that combine several features. With a coil spring base – a 12.5 gauge unit – this Happy Beds Orthopaedic medium firm model leverages traditional design to provide reliable and durable support. The surface feedback is pleasant, with a great degree of recovery once you press your body against the fabric. It is precisely medium firm, without much leaning on either side of the spectrum.
- The orthopaedic spring unit is twice tempered, which provides the firm support you’ll need from the base.
- The base is heavily reinforced, and both the cover and fillings are hand-tufted for improved structure and durability. Considering the natural fillings of wool, combined with quality polyester, breathability is also guaranteed. If you have a low tolerance to heat, natural filling mattresses are the way to go.
- Breathability is greatly improved with the addition of air vents on the sides, so you don’t have to worry too much about your bed frame and whether or not it prevents proper ventilation. The quality of the fabric is also unprecedented within this price range.
- The model is handmade in the UK, and it is compliant with the latest British standards of quality and safety. Additionally, it is fully fire retardant. Click here to read the latest customer reviews on Amazon!
- Handles are stitched onto the sides for ease of flipping, and it is recommended that you rotate and flip every few weeks. Considering the number of reviews, this is one of the most popular medium firm mattresses on the market, and the price is beyond affordable. It feels comfortable, relaxed, and supportive, with edge to edge weight distribution and firm corners and side areas.
- The Happy Beds Super Ortho Medium Firm Mattress is not a fancy model. It is a classically designed best medium firm mattress model, with quality materials, attention to detail, and superb manufacturing process. At its current price, it is a bargain. It is highly recommended!
2. Vesgantti 9.4 Inch Pocket Sprung Medium Firm Mattress
Slightly on the softer side of the medium-firm mattress spectrum, the Vesgantti 9.4 inch multilayer hybrid medium firm mattress is a nicely designed model with several impressive features. First of all, whenever I review a new model, I like to know the price and set my expectations accordingly. And this is especially true when making medium firm mattress reviews – there is so much going on under the surface layer that you cannot make an informed verdict without comparing within a similar price category.
- That being said, the Vesgantti Mattress is probably one of the most impressive medium firm mattresses that we’ve put under the lens. There are so many features included that you won’t expect an affordable price tag. Compared to other models from the list, it is a no-brainer purchase. The mattress features a quality pocket spring net, with stainless spring units that are individually wrapped. We did a section cut to examine the rebound of the pocket springs alone, and it is more responsive than we expected. It is surprisingly firm yet reactive to weight.
- Then, the pocket springs are covered with a quality cotton blanket, topped by high-density foam for added base support. On top of the foam padding, there is a breathable non-woven fabrics section, covered with an additional layer of slow spring back foam, and then PP cotton and the surface of breathable knit fabrics. On the other side of the pocket springs, as you go down, there is another quality cotton blanket and a durable polyester cover fabric. The height is 24 cm, but the density, firmness, and rebound are far more impressive than 30 cm mattress models.
- The best medium firm mattress comes rolled, and vacuum packed, so you will have to open the package very carefully and allow the mattress to return to its original shape in around 48 hours. I’d prefer more time since it is essential for the pocket spring net to settle nicely into place. Impressive features of the model are the ultra-quiet sound-absorbing materials, the highly breathable temperature sensitive foam layers, and the high-quality zonal support spring pockets (full support for 7 zones of your body). Read the latest reviews on Amazon!
If you need a hybrid model that distributes your weight fully while allowing different parts of your body to relax at different pressure, this is perhaps the best model there is. Very affordable and super comfortable, I highly recommend it!
3. Simpur Relax BioPure Graphene Memory Foam Mattress
If you need the best medium firm mattress that is supported by memory foam alone, the Simpur Relax BioPure Graphene is one of the most impressive models. It features a multilayer foam structure, with both dense and spring release foam layers, guaranteed to provide lasting comfort. This medium firm mattress features a natural fibre quilted cover that protects against most common allergy triggers and is 100% anti-bacterial. On top of that, each layer is treated for moisture and odour absorbing properties, and there is a particular stretch fabric infused with micro-capsules of mineral therapy against rheumatism.
- The foam is highly breathable, which puts this model leagues above competing foam mattresses of similar firmness, and it will make a difference for everyone who is heat sensitive and wakes up quickly due to temperature differences throughout the night.
- The mattress comes with several certifications and patented technologies, including the ISO 9001, CERTIPUR-US, CARBONO, GRAPHENE and CONFORT EXTREM.
- It features 11 different targeted zones, offering support for your hips, softness for your shoulders and essential protection for your lower back.
- There is a 5-year warranty included in the price, as well as a memory foam pillow gift, which is super comfortable and very adaptive to your head and neck. Considering the affordable price, these additions make the Simpur Relax a truly impressive deal.
We’ve tested a large number of memory foam mattresses, but the Simpur Mattress stands out due to its strong support at the base, and sturdy edges which is generally not the case with medium-priced mattresses. The model comes rolled, and vacuum packed, so make sure to open with caution and allow 24-48 hours for the foam to expand and regain its original shape. After that, the mattress will impress you with its responsiveness and reliable support, which is unusual for a multilayer foam model. Click here for the latest customer reviews on Amazon!
If you need a medium-firm mattress that is cushy and responsive on the rebound, this multilayer model is one to consider. It offers protection from the most common allergy triggers, moist and odour, while at the same time having highly breathable foam layers that is quite a rarity—definitely recommended!
4. Sealy Posturpedic Millionaire Backcare 4FT6 Double Mattress
If you are looking for a luxurious and traditionally designed mattress, the Sealy Posturpedic Millionaire Backcare 4FT6 is sitting on the top of the list. Featuring a strong and ultra-durable Bonnel spring unit, it is one of the most quality made open spring mattresses on the market.
- The model offers excellent recovery both for the spring unit as well as the natural fillings that keep up their shape long after you put this product into use. The quality fibre fillings are 100% polyester, man-made and surprisingly durable. And while the model doesn’t have certifications for safety, it is rated source 2 for low hazard and general domestic use.
- Reinforcing the structural integrity of the model, the stitching is durable with hand-tufted buttons spread evenly across the surface, adding additional tension to the spring unit.
- The mattress is one-sided, which means that you don’t have to flip it over. Regular rotation, however, is strongly recommended. It arrives flat packed, but you should let it settle for a while nonetheless. The height, once settled in place, should measure 27 centimetres. Included in the price is a 5-year warranty, which makes this model highly affordable by any standard.
- The mattress also features a quality knitted cover that stretches with the moulding, with excellent elasticity and highly breathable.
- Made in Britain, very durable and super comfortable, it is one of the most luxurious traditionally designed mattresses on the market. It is worth considering, especially if you prefer breathability and strong recovery as opposed to memory foam. Judging by the feedback so far, this model is one of the most durable and comfortable traditional mattresses manufactured in the UK. I highly recommend it. Read customer reviews on Amazon!
However, if you compare it against the other hybrid mattresses featuring a palate of new and patented technologies, then it falls behind by a considerable margin. Considering the price, you can get yourself a much better model, if you are comfortable with the hybrid mattresses. If however, you are determined on the traditional Bonnel spring unit, there is hardly a better choice on the market.
5. Inofia Medium Firm Mattress with Pocket Springs
As I’ve already written in the introduction chapter above, finding the best hybrid mattress can be rather hard. If you are price-aware and compare models against one another with special consideration of pricing, a quality hybrid model on the medium-firm end is going to cost. The Inofia 4FT6 mattress, however, is there to break the rule. Comparing features and considering prices, it is one of the best medium-firm mattresses on the price/quality ratio. The model combines pocket springs with premium memory foam layers, as well as some of the most advanced zonal support technology within this price range.
- The mattress provides medium-firm support, with edge-to-edge weight distribution, and separate zones for each section of your body. It efficiently eliminates pressure points regardless of your weight and body type, allowing your joints to sink into the surface. The top layer is cushy and comfortingly soft, while the base is denser and very reactive to weight transfer and movement, providing adequate support for even the heavier type.
- The zonal support aligns the spine, so expect significant sleep improvement if you are suffering from chronic back pain around the waist and lower back.
- The edges of the mattress feel sturdy and as supportive as the middle, so that is good news for someone who prefers to sleep near the side of the mattress.
- Detailing the sectional cut, you have a 3D breathable knitted cover on top with high elasticity foam underneath the surface. Then, two layers of high-density foam follow are right below, and a non-woven fabric layer on top of a sterile layer protecting the pocketed springs. There is another sterile layer at the bottom, and all of these are tightly aligned together.
- The model comes rolled, and vacuum packed, so be careful during the unpacking and make sure to let it settle down for at least 40 hours. Considering the three layers of foam and the micro-pocket grid, it might take quite a while to return to its original shape.
- The Inofia comes with a 10-year warranty and an additional trial period of 100 nights during which you can return the mattress if not fully satisfied. It is fair to say that none of the models I’ve reviewed in the past offered this level of satisfaction guarantee. Click here to find more features on Amazon!
The price, when on sale, is ridiculously affordable, so make sure to act fast and get one while stock lasts. It is one of the most comfortable mattresses I’ve reviewed so far, and the number of features concerning the price is outstanding. Most highly recommended!
Introduction to mattress firmness and what to know about Medium Firm Mattresses
Often mistaken with support, mattress firmness is the feeling of tension, rebound, and degree of immersion, you would typically feel when resting down on the surface of any model. It refers to the somewhat subjective sensation on the feedback from the mattress surface. A soft mattress would be more cushy and immersive, allowing your body to sink deeper. It will also provide a slower rebound when moving from one side to the other.
A firm mattress, on the other hand, is the exact opposite. It provides strong tension, fast rebound, and little to no sink-down. So you would guess that the best medium firm mattress sits somewhere in between. It provides a decent level of tension, with a relatively fast rebound, and a moderate degree of immersion.
Different materials and technologies
The manufacturing process, along with the materials, is tightly connected to the outcome in firmness. You cannot have a soft mattress when the base is constructed with stiff Bonnel springs, or a firm one when all you have under the surface is layer upon layer of memory foam. So let’s explore the materials used for different mattress varieties, how they affect the firmness, and how they sometimes fit together.
This is the traditional mattress design, with an edge-to-edge interconnected spring unit supplying the base support. Nowadays, when more models and technologies are available, it is less common to choose a coil spring mattress. However, the fillings play a considerable role, and they can dramatically change the quality of the model.
Some of them preserve their shape for years on end, offer fast recovery, excellent breathability, and therefore excellent temperature regulation. Combined with a secure Bonnel unit for the base, and hand-tufted buttons to keep the tension throughout the mattress surface, many companies are making quality medium firm mattresses using this traditional technology.
Memory foam models are usually on the soft end of the spectrum, but depending on the density of the foam layers, they can also feel less cushy. Watch, however, for all memory models with dense foam, since they usually have poor breathability.
A relatively new technology, pocket springs are individually wrapped coils evenly distributed throughout the base. They are usually topped with fabric fillings or in many cases memory foam layers, to provide a more cushy and immersive surface experience.
Pocket springs provide excellent support, and help with spine alignment, offering a different degree of softness for specific parts of the body. Called, zonal support, this technology eliminates several pressure points, effectively helping people with chronic shoulder, hip, or knee pain.
Hybrid Mattress Models
The hybrid models usually incorporate a micro-pocket grid that is greatly adaptive to the body which provides the base support. Also, you are likely to see a layer or two of memory foam, thin enough only to give a somewhat softer surface that is also weight reactive. If you are looking for a medium-firm mattress, the hybrid models offer the most reliable support, with more features than all of the other models combined.
What is the ideal firmness for each sleeping position?
Much of your choice depends on your sleeping position. If you don’t have strong preferences, the best medium firm mattress is the way to go. Have you noticed how some of the best hotels usually have medium-firm mattress models? That’s because it is the easiest way to please everybody without risking an uncomfortable level of firmness.
But let’s explore the other options.
Choose the best medium firm mattress, and preferably one that has pocket springs for the base support. Side sleepers – especially those who are heavier than average – usually have a lot of problems with shoulder and hip pain. A pocket spring grid would, therefore, eliminate this problem to a substantial degree.
This is the position for which you would like to choose a firm surface.
Many people would choose a soft variety, but the best medium firm mattress will do just fine as well, especially when you have chronic pain in your lower back.
Chronic back pain and mattress firmness
For those who struggle with chronic back pain, Bonnel springs are out of the question. Memory foam, especially the softer variety, is not an option as well, so they would have to choose between pocket springs and dense memory foam models.
If you are heavy, I would recommend against all-foam mattresses, since there is a chance you will find the temperature swings to be intolerable. A pocket spring model, with thin breathable layers of foam, is the best option there is.
Personal factors determining the firmness of a mattress
If you prefer to sleep on the very edge, memory mattresses are not going to work, and you will need something else for the base. If, on the other hand, you sleep near the centre of the bed, and have a partner of different weight, you will want to avoid Bonnel springs, and go with either dense memory foam or pocket springs and a foam layer beneath the surface.
Heat intolerance will dictate natural fillings for Bonnel spring mattresses, and breathable foam where there is a layer or two included. Also, a soft mattress will immerse your body completely, making it more challenging to cope with the heat, so the best medium firm mattress is an excellent alternative if you want to keep some of that comfort yet avoid the sweat.